How did Scentsy get started?
The Scentsy Story
Scentsy began with a simple idea — a safe, wickless alternative to scented candles — and quickly grew into one of the most successful direct selling companies in the world. This wickless concept is simply decorative ceramic warmers designed to melt scented wax with the heat of a light bulb instead of a traditional wick and flame.
Entrepreneurs Heidi and Orville Thompson encountered the product line at a home show in early 2004, purchased the tiny company, and moved Scentsy to Meridian, Idaho, where the company’s first home office was a 40-foot ocean shipping container on a small sheep farm. The Thompsons were inspired by how fragrance brings powerful emotions and memories to the surface — without the safety risks of a burning candle — and launched Scentsy as a party-plan company that same year.
Scentsy joined the Direct Selling Association (DSA) in 2004 and enrolled its first Independent Consultant. Since then, the company has expanded operations, hired a strong executive team, extended its product line, innovated around the Scentsy business opportunity, and received numerous awards for its growth and ethical business practices. Scentsy was named the number one consumer products company on the 2010 Inc. 500 list, ranked among the top 100 on the 2011 Inc. 500 list, appeared in the 2010 Direct Selling News Global 100 list of top direct selling companies, and received the DSA’s 2010 and 2011 Success Awards and the DSA’s 2009 Rising Star Award.
In less than eight years, Scentsy has generated more than $1 billion in revenue. Today, the company’s family of passionate Independent Scentsy Consultants shares the Scentsy experience and the Scentsy difference throughout the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, Canada, and Europe.
Fun Facts about Scentsy
- Founded in 2004
- Headquartered in Meridian, ID, USA
- Distribution sites in Meridian, ID, USA, Lexington, KY, USA, Coppell, TX, USA and Warsaw, Poland
- Wax manufactured in Meridian, ID, USA
- Sold in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, Canada, Germany, Ireland and the United Kingdom
- Privately held, owned and operated by Orville and Heidi Thompson
- First location was a 40-foot ocean container on a small Idaho sheep farm
- Company employees: 1,000+
- Method of sales/distribution: Direct sales – party plan
- Independent consultants/distributors: 180,000 and growing
about scentsy commons
63-acre campus near corner of Eagle and Pine in Meridian Idaho
7 buildings totaling 603,256 square feet
about the newest building
• Scentsy office tower
• 5 stories and sunlit basement
• 167,995 square feet
Scentsy by the Numbers
- 16,000 Boxes packed and shipped on an average day
- 161 Bathtubs worth of wax poured on an average day
- 8 School buses filled with newly enrolled Consultants on an average day
- 16 Semi-trailers filled and shipped in an average day
Awards & Recognition :
- SCENTSY FAMILY MAKES THE TOP 20 ON THE GLOBAL 100 DIRECT SELLING COMPANIES LIST
- Scentsy Family, the parent company of Scentsy Wickless, moved up 13 spots from its 2010 ranking to No. 20 on the Global 100 list of the top direct selling companies in the world. The official publication of the Direct Selling Association, Direct Selling News (DSN), compiles The Global 100 list each year.
PUBLIC RELATIONS SOCIETY OF AMERICA AWARDS SCENTSY WICKLESS A BRONZE ANVIL AWARD OF COMMENDATION FOR ITS CULTURAL SOCIAL EFFORTS
The Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) recognized Scentsy Wickless with a Bronze Anvil Award of Commendation for its efforts to understand and accelerate Scentsy’s growth within specific cultural groups in the United States. Each year PRSA recognizes exceptional public relations tactics with its Bronze Anvil Award. Of 784 entries in the national competition, only 83 were selected as Bronze Anvil Award of Commendation winners.
SCENTSY WICKLESS EARNS 14 AWARDS AT 2011 IDAHO ADVERTISING AWARDS SHOW
The Rockies Award Show, hosted by the Idaho Advertising Federation and the Boise Advertising Federation, recognized Scentsy Wickless with 14 Rockies, including one gold Rockie for “Midnight Fig” Scent of the Month Video and a silver Rockie for the following: “Pumpkin Marshmallow” Scent of the Month Video, “The Scentsy Day!” showcase video, the “Scentsy Style 2010” yearbook, and the Scentsy “We Party for a Living” RV wrap.
SCENTSY FAMILY NAMED TO FORBES’ LIST OF AMERICA’S 100 MOST PROMISING COMPANIES
Forbes Magazine named Scentsy Family, the parent company of Scentsy Wickless, to its 2011 list of America’s 100 Most Promising Companies. Scentsy Family was ranked #66 and was the largest company on the list based on revenue and employees, with 2010 revenues of $381 million and an employee base of 750.
IDAHO TOP PRIVATE COMPANIES 2011, IDAHO STATESMAN
For the second year in a row, Scentsy Family, the parent company of Scentsy Wickless, was recognized in the Idaho Statesman’s 2011 “Idaho Private 75” list of top privately-held companies in the state. Scentsy Family placed 12th on the list, moving up ten spots from last year. The company is also listed as number one for revenue growth in Idaho for 2011.
- INC. 500 RANKS SCENTSY FAMILY THE 85TH FASTEST-GROWING COMPANY IN THE U.S., AND LARGEST COMPANY IN TOP 200Scentsy Family, the parent company of Scentsy Wickless, ranked in the top 100 companies on Inc. Magazine’s elite list of the fastest-growing, privately-held companies in the United States for the second year in a row. Scentsy Family’s 2010 revenues of $381.8 million and 3-year sales growth rate of 2,904.4% earned it the 85th spot on the Inc. 500 List. Scentsy Family was the largest company by revenues in the top 200 firms and the fastest-growing direct selling company on the list.
SCENTSY FAMILY BREAKS THE TOP 50 IN THE TOP 100 DIRECT SELLING COMPANIES LIST
Scentsy Family, the parent company of Scentsy Wickless, moved up 31 spots from its 2010 ranking to No. 33 on the Global 100 list of the 2011 top direct selling companies in the world. The official publication of the Direct Selling Association, Direct Selling News (DSN), compiles The Global 100 list each year.
DIRECT SELLING ASSOCIATION 2011 SUCCESS AWARD
Scentsy Wickless received the Direct Selling Association’s (DSA) Success Award. In 2011, the DSA honored Scentsy for its ‘Bring Back My Bar’ sales promotion, which generated more than $9 million in sales. The DSA Success Award recognizes direct selling companies whose programs demonstrate proven success and a high standard of excellence.
SCENTSY WICKLESS EARNS FOUR AWARDS AT 2011 ROCKIES AWARD SHOW
The Rockies Award Show, hosted by the Idaho Advertising Federation and the Boise Advertising Federation, recognized Scentsy Wickless with four silver Rockies for the “Scentsy County Fair” campaign, Scentsy Buddy interactive website, Scentsy Buddy packaging and the corporate core value murals on the walls of its administrative offices in the Portico Office Tower.
- INC. 500 RANKS SCENTSY FAMILY THE FASTEST-GROWING CONSUMER PRODUCTS AND SERVICES COMPANY IN THE COUNTRYScentsy Family, the parent company of Scentsy Wickless, earned its first ranking on the Inc. 500 for increasing its annual revenues from $2,176,876 in 2006 to $178,375,434 in 2009, a cumulative growth rate of 8,094%. It is notable that only seven companies among the top 200 had higher 2009 sales than Scentsy Family.
SCENTSY FAMILY MAKES TOP 100 DIRECT SELLING COMPANIES LIST
Scentsy Family, the parent company of Scentsy Wickless, was listed No. 64 on the Global 100 list of the top direct selling companies in the world with 2009 sales of $178.4 million, nearly three times the growth over the previous year. The Global 100 is compiled annually by Direct Selling News (DSN), the official publication of the Direct Selling Association.
IDAHO TOP PRIVATE COMPANIES 2010, IDAHO STATESMAN
The Idaho Private 75 recognizes top performing, privately-held Idaho companies based on revenue. In 2010 Scentsy Family, the parent company of Scentsy Wickless, ranked No. 22 on the list and is referenced several times as “a new player in the economy” and “the only real new-comer” to the list.
CSS BURST WEBSITE RECOGNITION
The website for Scentsy Wickless’ fun-loving Scentsy Buddy was recognized for its creative, fun, and lively online environment for Scentsy’s favorite Buddies to share their personalities.
DIRECT SELLING ASSOCIATION 2010 SUCCESS AWARD
The Direct Selling Association (DSA) honored Scentsy Family, the parent company of Scentsy Wickless, as the 2010 Success Award winner for excellence in social media engagement. The DSA Success Award recognizes direct selling companies whose programs achieved a high standard of quality and are ones other companies can learn from.
DIRECT SELLING ASSOCIATION 2009 RISING STAR AWARD
The Direct Selling Association (DSA) awarded Scentsy Family, the parent company of Scentsy Wickless, the Rising Star Award for their outstanding achievement and standard of excellence in business operations. One up-and-coming direct selling company is recognized each year.